TERMS & CONDITIONS
500 Motorhome Adventures Ltd – Terms & Conditions of Hire
Thank you for planning to, or for making a booking with 500 Motorhome Adventures Limited.
Please read these Terms and Conditions carefully and contact us if you have any questions before submitting / signing the Booking Form.
• ‘500 Motorhome Adventures’ means 500 Motorhome Adventures Limited (Company Registered Number SC574414), Registered Office at Birkwood, Tarbat Mains, Invergordon, IV18 0NF; wherever the words “we”, “us” or “our” appear in these Terms and Conditions, this means 500 Motorhome Adventures Limited;
• ‘Booking Confirmation’ means the email we send you after receiving a completed Booking Form confirming the details of your booking, including the dates and times for the collection and return of the campervan or motorhome, the confirmed Hire Price and the date before which the balance of the Hire Price must be paid;
• ‘Motorhome’ means any Motorhome or Campervan provided for hire by us in terms of the agreement for hire established by these Terms and Conditions and the Booking Form, together with the whole contents, accessories, equipment and all extras provided by us;
• ‘Contract’ means your contract with us comprising of these Terms and Conditions and your completed Booking Form;
• ‘Deposit’ means a sum of £250.00;
• ‘Driver and Additional Driver’ means any person(s) named on the submitted Booking Form as the main driver or additional driver of a Motorhome;
• ‘Hire Period’ means the period from the collection of a Motorhome by you from us until the agreed return of the Motorhome to us;
• ‘Hire Price’ means the total price payable for the hire of the Motorhome for the Hire Period;
• ‘Insurance Policy’ means the insurance policy supplied to and maintained by us, for the purpose of providing insurance cover to persons hiring the Motorhome, the details of the policy are available from us;
• ‘Security Deposit’ means the sum of £750 payable before the start of any Hire Period;
• ‘Terms and Conditions’ means these terms and conditions, which may be subject to change / amended in writing;
• ‘Website’ means our website at www.500motorhomeadventures.co.uk; and
• ‘You’ means the person completing the online booking form on behalf of the booking party.
2 Your Contract with 500 Motorhome Adventures
2.1 Your Contract will come into effect 48 hours after we send you the Booking Confirmation, unless you contact us to advise of an incorrect statement in the Booking Confirmation, in which case your Contract will come into effect 48 hours after we send you the revised Booking Confirmation.
2.2 Once the contract is in place, our Cancellation policy (section 4) applies.
2.3 If you breach any of the provisions of the Contract, we reserve the right to dismiss the Contract with immediate effect without prejudice.
3 Booking a Motorhome
3.1 In order to book a Motorhome with us, you must complete a Booking Form available on the 500 Motorhome Adventures website.
3.2 Your Deposit is due within 7 days of the date we send you the Booking Confirmation. If we do not receive your Deposit within this 7-day period without prior arrangement, we reserve the right to release your booking without further contact.
3.3 The balance of the Hire Price must be paid no later than six weeks before the start of your Hire Period. If we do not receive the balance of the Hire Price by the due date, we reserve the right to release your booking and, in the event that we do so, you agree that we may retain your Deposit. If the start of your Hire Period is less than 6 weeks from the date we send you the Booking Confirmation, the whole of the Hire Price is payable within 7 days of the date we send you the Booking Confirmation. If the start of the Hire Period is less than 7 days from the date we send you the Booking Confirmation, the full amount of the Hire Price is payable with immediate effect to reserve the Motorhome.
3.4 We can accept payment by bank transfer or most major Debit and Credit Cards. If paying by Debit or Credit Card, you authorize us to take payments from your Card. If you are paying by Credit Card, to cover banking costs, there may be an additional charge to cover the bank charges we will incur from such payment, but this will be no more than 3% of the Hire Price.
4 Cancellation Policy
4.1 Once your contract is in place, this cancellation policy applies. To cancel your booking, you should first ring us to discuss if it can be amended, failing this, any outright cancellation must be made in writing (email or letter) to confirm.
4.2 If you cancel your booking with us, the following charges will apply:-
If you cancel more than 6 weeks before the start of your Hire Period, we will charge you 25% of the Hire Price;
If you cancel more than 4 weeks but less than 6 weeks before the start of your Hire Period, we will charge you 75% of the Hire Price; and
If you cancel less than 4 weeks before the start of your Hire Period, we will charge you 100% of the Hire Price.
By submitting an on-line Booking Form to 500 Motorhome Adventures Limited, you have agreed to these Terms and Conditions and the above cancellation periods and charges will legally apply even if you have not yet paid the deposit to us.
4.3 If we cancel your booking for any reason other than:- - a breach by you of your Contract with us in accordance with Condition 2.3; or
- an issue with the supplied driving licence(s) as set out in Condition 4.4; then you will be entitled to a full refund of all sums paid to us. However, as detailed in Condition 13.2 below, we shall have no other legal liability to you.
We reserve the right to cancel your booking with us if, upon presentation of the Driver and/or Additional Driver’s driving licence’s to us, the driving licence(s) is/are invalid or do not correspond with the details noted on the Booking Form, and we shall be entitled to charge you the whole of the Hire Price.
5.1 For the full duration of the hire, in the event if any accident, damage or any reportable event, the 500 Motorhome Adventures Ltd’s self-drive hire insurance policy has the sole responsibility for any and all claims to the vehicle.
The insurance policy has been issued by a recognised legal entity for fleet self-drive hire vehicle coverage and conforms to the full legal requirement.
5.2 The Hire Price includes comprehensive insurance cover.
Please note that you are not covered for:
• Any claim where the Motorhome was being used in contravention of these Terms and Conditions;
• Theft where the keys were left in the unoccupied Motorhome;
• Damage to tyres by punctures or bursts;
• Damage to the windscreen or windows (if this is the only damage suffered);
• Damage caused to the Motorhome by driving under height restricted barriers;
• Damage to the inside of the Motorhome, e.g. stains on or damage to the upholstery, marking the storage units, breakages to locks or catches, light fittings etc; or
• Costs of replacing any keys that are lost, stolen or locked in the vehicle (including any costs of delivering the keys to you if the Motorhome is out on hire).
• Costs of replacing any items owned by 500 Motorhome Adventures Limited that are damaged, lost or stolen while the Motorhome is on hire to you.
5.3 In the event that you cause damage to a third party which is not covered by the Insurance Policy as a result of any of the exclusions (whether in the Insurance Policy or listed above), then you will be liable for any amounts payable to such third party.
5.4 In the event that you cause damage to the Motorhome that is not covered by the Insurance Policy as a result of any of the exclusions (whether in the Insurance Policy or listed above), then you will be liable to us for the amount of our loss. This loss may include the full cost of repairing or replacing the Motorhome, and the amount of revenue we lose in respect of future bookings already secured in respect of such Motorhome at the date on which we become aware of the damage to the Motorhome.
5.5 An insurance damage excess of £750 applies to all claims, i.e. you are responsible for paying the first £750 of all claims, and this will be taken from your security deposit (see Condition 8 – Security Deposit).
5.6 The insurance applies to the agreed Hire Period – if you return the vehicle late you will not be insured. If this happens, you must ring us and we may be able to arrange extension to the insurance cover, but a fee of £25 will be charged, plus any additional premium if levied by the insurance company.
5.7 The Insurance Policy does not provide cover of any sort for your own personal property – we fully recommend that you take out your own travel insurance.
5.8 500 Motorhome Adventures Limited are required to verify the identity and permanent address of each Driver and any other permitted driver(s) by means other than relying solely on the information contained in the Hirer’s or driver’s driving licence or and that such person is not amongst the excluded persons enumerated below.
• A copy of the front and rear of each of the named Driver's licence must be provided to 500 Motorhome Adventures Limited no later than six weeks prior to the collection of the vehicle.
• Two further forms of ID shall be supplied i.e. Utility Bill, bank or credit card statement (each must be no more than 60 days old) for each named driver that matches the home address for each of the named drivers and these must meet the terms set out below.
• If you hold a UK licence, we will also require the DVLA 'check code' for each driver three weeks prior to collection of your vehicle or a copy of each driving record from the DVLA which is available from https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence.
• Only the person(s) named as the Driver and Additional Driver(s) on the Booking Form or confirmed in writing to you by 500 Motorhome Adventures Limited may drive the Motorhome.
• The terms of our Insurance Policy restrict the hire of Motorhomes to certain categories of person. While cover can usually be arranged under our Insurance Policy, this must be arranged in advance and you must let us know when you submit the Booking Form if you or any Additional Driver :-
• Are under 24 or over 70 years of age;
• Have held a full driving licence valid in the United Kingdom, EU, Australia, New Zealand, Canada or USA for less than 24 months;
• Persons who have been convicted of an offence in connection with the driving of a motor vehicle or motorcycle and/or have had their driving licence endorsed or suspended or more than 6 penalty points imposed. “Spent” convictions, covered by the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 may be disregarded.;
• Persons who have had their insurance declined and/or renewal refused and/or special insurance terms imposed as a result of claims experience and/or have had their insurance or cover cancelled by any Motor Insurer.
• Are engaged wholly or partly in professional entertainment or are professional sports persons.
• Jockeys and persons connected with racing, gaming industry or press of any sort.
• Have been involved in more than one accident whilst driving during the past 3 years.
• Foreign Service Personnel other than persons holding a full UK/EU licence for two years or more.
• Undergraduates and/or students under 25 years of age.
7 Collecting Your Motorhome
7.1 The Booking Confirmation will advise you where and at what time your Motorhome can be collected. Collection times will normally be on or after 12 noon. Return times on or before 10am.
We aim to be as flexible as possible with the collections and return times. If there are times outside of the above which you would prefer, please inform us on the Booking Form’s ‘Special Requirement Requests’ section, and provided that they do not conflict with the timing of other bookings, we will do our very best to accommodate your request.
7.2 While we will always seek to avoid doing so, we reserve the right to change the time of collection at any time up until 48 hours prior to the date of commencement of your Hire Period.
7.3 If you are late in collecting your Motorhome from us, you will not be entitled to either a refund of any sums paid to us or an extension to your Hire Period. If you have not collected your Motorhome from us within 24 hours of the time noted in the Booking Confirmation we reserve the right to cancel your booking without any notification. In such circumstances we are entitled to charge you the whole of the Hire Price, and you will not be entitled to a refund of any sums paid to us. If you know you are going to be late then please contact us as we may be able to agree revised arrangements with you.
7.4 You can park one car free of charge at our premises for the duration of your Hire Period. Any vehicle left at our premises is left entirely at your own risk and we accept no liability for any loss or damage suffered to any vehicle or its contents.
7.5 When collecting the Motorhome, you should allow a period of approximately 40 to 50 minutes for collection to allow us to show you around the vehicle, and additional time for you to transfer your belongings to the Motorhome.
8 Security Deposit
8.1 Prior to you collecting the Motorhome we will take a Security Deposit from you of £750.00. This can be made either via a bank transfer or via a debit or credit card given over the phone. If a payment is made via a card, that card must belong to a member of the hire party and will need to be produced when collecting the vehicle.
This deposit will be held for a further period of 16 days post the return date of your Motorhome hire period to ensure that the following Terms and Conditions shall be covered if required.
8.2 You authorise 500 Motorhome Adventures to deduct from the Security Deposit any amount payable to us under these Terms and Conditions in relation to any damage, breakage or other costs incurred as a result of any breach of these Terms and Conditions or as a result of your negligent act or omission.
8.3 Your Security Deposit will be refunded in full if your Motorhome is returned:-
• On time and in an undamaged and in neat, clean and tidy condition;
• With a full tank of the appropriate fuel;
• With all kitchen equipment, additional hired equipment/extras undamaged;
• With all property owned by 500 Motorhome Adventures Limited in place as supplied;
• With a full tank of the appropriate fuel;
• With the toilet cassette empty and clean;
• With the waste water emptied;
• Without any fines, penalties, charges or unpaid road or bridge tolls having been incurred.
8.4 The hirer is responsible for any speeding, parking, road or bridge tolls or any other road fines and penalties incurred during your hire period, and in the event that we are required to meet these, then we reserve the right to seek payment of these from you, and you authorise us to deduct these from the Security Deposit. In the event that we refund your Security Deposit in full and we subsequently establish that you have incurred any of the liabilities listed above, we reserve the right to recover any such cost from you together with a £25 administration charge.
8.5 If the costs due to us by you, or the loss or damage suffered by us as a result of any breach by you of these Terms and Conditions, is greater than the amount of the Security Deposit, then we shall retain the whole of the Security Deposit and seek an additional payment from you for the balance of the amount owed to us.
8.6 The charges which you will incur if you do not return the vehicle to our satisfaction are the greatest of;
• The actual charge to rectify the issue or
• The standard charge as detailed at clause 12 following together with an administration charge of £25 which is payable for dealing with any unpaid tolls, charges, fines or other costs.
8.7 Where any losses actually incurred by you exceed the amount of the Security Deposit then such payment is due within 7 days of the date of any written request by us to you.
9 Using The Motorhome
During your Hire Period you must:-
• Take all reasonable steps to keep the Motorhome in a clean, neat and tidy condition and well and properly maintained;
• Keep the Motorhome within Scotland, England and Wales unless you have obtained written permission from us prior to the Hire Period;
• Drive safely and responsibly and ensure that the Motorhome is under your control at all times;
• Check the tyre pressure, oil and water levels at least once a week and contact us immediately if any warning lights or indicators come on;
• Drive only on surfaced roads, with the exception of campsite fields/camping areas. When driving the Motorhome other than on a surfaced road, you must take great care to ensure that you remain in control of the Motorhome and ensure that the ground you are driving on is suitable and will not cause damage to the Motorhome nor cause it to become immovable.
• Always ensure one person exits the Motorhome to assist with directions when reversing the vehicle. You must not solely rely on mirrors, reversing cameras or sensors.
• Prior to turning on the water heater, you must remove the vent cover to prevent a build up of gas. Please store the cover safely inside the Motorhome and replace prior to departing. Failure to do so can cause serious internal boiler damage or loss of the cover for which you will be liable.
• Prior to departing, you must ensure the gas bottle valve has been turned off. Failure to do so could result in explosive combustion.
• Use only the correct fuel for the Motorhome.
During your Hire Period you must not:-
• Operate, drive or use the Motorhome in any way which would or might violate the terms of your Contract with us;
• Drive recklessly, dangerously or without due care and attention;
• Drive under the influence of alcohol or drugs;
• Overload the Motorhome beyond its reasonable loading capacity;
• Smoke or vape, or allow anyone else to smoke or vape in the Motorhome;
• Sublet or hire the Vehicle to any other person;
• Engage in any form of racing, rallying or motorsport of any kind;
• Leave the Motorhome unlocked for any period of time whilst unattended;
• Tow any trailer, caravan or any other item or vehicle;
• Commit any breach of any UK law, whether relating to road traffic or otherwise, in the Motorhome.
• Allow any pets or animals to enter the Motorhome unless you have specifically agreed this in writing with us prior to the Hire Period.
• To prevent a build up of gas, you must not turn on the water heater without first removing the outside vent and stowing it safely within the van. Failure to do so can cause serious internal boiler damage or a loss of the cover for which you will be liable.
• Move the motorhome without first turning off the gas bottle valve. Failure to do so could result in explosive combustion.
Included within the Hire Price is a comprehensive UK Roadside Breakdown cover. If the Motorhome breaks down during your Hire Period, you should contact the Breakdown Company on the numbers provided in the Roadside Breakdown documents which are in the pack located in the Motorhome. In the event of a breakdown, you must also contact us as soon as possible so we know what is happening and can establish whether we can help.
• You can use the Roadside Breakdown cover to help repair/replace a damaged/punctured tyre, or the windscreen of the Motorhome, however, you are liable for the full cost of any damage to the windscreen (including the cost of any replacement) and the cost of tyre damage or punctures (including the cost of replacing any tyres).
• You are authorised to instruct repairs to the Motorhome and the purchase replacement of parts up to a maximum cost of £100. In the event that you do instruct any repairs or replacement parts, you must obtain a receipt, and we will refund this to you at the end of the hire if applicable under these terms and conditions. If you do not keep a receipt, we reserve the right to refuse the reimbursement of any costs incurred by you. Repairs or replacement parts in excess of £100 must be approved by us before the work is undertaken or the parts ordered. We will not reimburse any costs incurred in excess of £100 if applicable under these terms and conditions, unless prior approval is obtained.
• If the Motorhome suffers a breakdown and cannot be repaired or made roadworthy within a period of 24 hours, we will try our best to make an alternative Motorhome available to you. However, this may not always be possible and we cannot guarantee that a replacement Motorhome will be available. In the event that we are unable to supply a replacement Motorhome, if applicable under these terms and conditions, we will reimburse the cost of each day’s hire charge for each day’s full loss of hire, unless we in our sole discretion consider that your act or omission has caused the breakdown.
11 If you have an accident or damage the Motorhome
If you are involved in an accident involving the Motorhome, you must:-
• Not admit guilt or liability or do/say anything which may be treated as an admission of guilt or liability;
• Take a record of the names, addresses and (as appropriate) insurance details of all 3rd parties involved and any witnesses; • Notify the police if there is any damage or injury to property, people or animals;
• Complete the Accident Report form supplied with the Motorhome (in the pack in the glovebox), including sketches and photographs if possible;
• Contact us as soon as possible so that we know what is happening and can establish whether we can help;
• Not abandon the Motorhome without taking all reasonable steps to prevent any further damage or loss;
• Not drive the Motorhome without our permission;
• Return the fully completed accident report form to us when you return the Motorhome; and
• In accordance with Condition 5.4, pay to us the excess due under the Insurance Policy and where applicable under these terms and conditions.
• If the Motorhome cannot be repaired or made roadworthy within a period of 24 hours, we will try our best to make an alternative Motorhome available to you, unless we in our sole discretion consider that your act or omission has caused the accident. However, this may not always be possible and we cannot guarantee that a replacement Motorhome will be available. We will not refund any of the Hire Price, or other additional charges, if we are unable to provide you with a replacement Motorhome, even if it shown either at the time, or subsequently that the liability for the accident was not yours.
• If you damage the Motorhome in any way (for example, break an interior door handle, smash a headlight, or break a tap fitting), it is very important that you contact us as soon as possible to let us know. This is particularly important to allow us to help you fix the problem if possible and also if we need to order any replacement parts for re-fitting on the day you return the Motorhome at the end of your hire to ensure that it is ready for use again for the next hire of the vehicle.
12 Returning your Motorhome
We will advise in the Booking Confirmation when and where your Motorhome must be returned. Returning the Motorhome to us on time is extremely important. We often work to tight turnaround schedules, so if you believe that you might not be able to return the Motorhome to us at the specified time, you must let us know as soon as possible.
12.1 We reserve the right to levy the following charges, by deduction from your Security Deposit or otherwise:-
• £50 if you return the Motorhome between 1 and 2 hours late without prior agreement, and a full daily hire rate if you return the Motorhome more than 3 hours late;
• A £25 charge for additional insurance costs in the event that you return the Motorhome more than 1 hour late;
• If the fuel tank is not returned full, a £30 service charge will apply, plus the cost of the fuel.
• £25 waste water emptying charge if the waste water tank is not returned empty.
• £50 toilet emptying charge if the cassette is not returned empty and clean.
• £50 cleaning charge if the Motorhome interior is dirty/soiled. This charge shall be applied at our sole discretion, subject always to an obligation on us to act reasonably.
• £100 if we believe you have smoked/vaped or allowed anyone else to smoke/vape in the Motorhome.
13.1 We will not be liable for any death or personal injury sustained by you, any member of your party, or any third party except as arising directly as a result of our negligence.
13.2 We will not be liable for any costs incurred in connection with any replacement vehicle costs, travel or accommodation costs or other losses resulting directly or indirectly from any unavailability, breakdown or other failure of a Motorhome.
14 Title/Ownership of the Motorhome
The Motorhome shall at all times remain the property of 500 Motorhome Adventures Limited and you shall have no rights to the Motorhome other than as hirer of the Motorhome for the contracted Hire Period.
15 Data Protection
We value your custom and value your privacy, and because of that we will not pass on any of your details to any third parties. There may be some information such as some of our special offers which, if we think would be of interest to you, we’ll send to you ourselves. If you’d prefer not to receive any information like this from us, please email us and let us know.
16 Changes in the Terms and Conditions
We reserve the right to alter the rates and Terms and Conditions at any time. We also reserve the right to cancel hire to any person without warning or explanation. Additions to or alterations of the terms of this agreement shall be null and void unless agreed upon in writing by all concerned parties.
17 Law of Scotland to apply
The Contract and these Terms and Conditions shall be governed by and in accordance with the law of Scotland.
You agree to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the Scottish courts in relation to all matters arising under this Contract and Terms and Conditions of hire from 500 Motorhome Adventures Limited.
Terms & Conditions Updated May 7th, 2018.